Lower back pain (Lumbago)
Suffering from low back pain? Find out more about the causes, symptoms and treatments for this injury. Plus, find a range of back supports and braces and products to assist in alleviating back pain.
The lower back is made up of many ligaments, muscles nerves and bones, which bears a considerable portion of the body's weight. This makes the lower back susceptible to a range of injuries, which can cause great discomfort to the individual. Read on to discover more about the anatomy of the lower back, common causes and symptoms of lower back pain and potential treatment options for Lumbago.
Anatomy of the Lumbar Back
The lumbar spine (lower back) consists of five bones (L1-L5 vertebrae), which are separated from one another by intervertebral discs. These discs allow the spine to move freely and act as shock absorbers during weight bearing activity. Ligaments support the joints of the spine. There are also several muscles that attach to this region of the spine. The lower back is responsible for protecting the nervous system of the spine therefore early detection and treatment is recommended for anyone suffering from lower back pain.
Causes of Lower Back Pain
Pain in the lumbar region of the spine may be due to joint, intervertebral disc or soft tissue (muscles, ligaments, tendons) pathology.
Many common causes can include:
- Lumbar Strain: caused by improper use, overuse or trauma to the lower back
- Nerve irritation: caused by pressure placed on the nerve by bones or ligaments (EG: Disk Herniations)
Lower Back Pain Symptoms
- Symptoms often appear after lifting a heavy object or turning rapidly, but can also occur without previous exertion
- Pain is localised to the lower back and does not radiate down into the leg
- Back stiffness and muscle tightness in the area
- Posture may appear asymmetrical, with the back bent to one side as a result of muscle spasm and pain avoidance
Treatments for Lower Back Pain
Please consult with your medical professional for a complete diagnosis of your lower back pain and tailored back pain treatment plan.
Recommended Back Supports and Braces:
Under the direction of your medical professional and in conjunction with your advised treatment plan, the following Thermoskin products are recommended:
- Thermoskin Lumbar Support - provides protection, heat, compression and support to muscle injuries and general lower back dysfunctions. This product has 2 flexible internal stays for additional support and adjustable side straps for extra compression
- Thermoskin Back - provides protection, heat and mild support to muscle injuries and general lower back dysfunctions
- Thermoskin Elastic Back Stabiliser - provides compression and support for general lower back dysfunctions. There are four internal stays for additional support, adjustable elastic side straps for extra compression and contains a lightweight breathable mesh knit for ventilation
Browse recommended products: