Back Injuries and Back Pain
Suffering from back pain? Find out more about the causes, symptoms and treatments for back related injuries. Plus, find a range of back supports and braces and products to assist in alleviating back pain. Back pain is a common problem that will affect up to 80% of all people at some stage during their life. The main causes vary between accidents, muscle & ligament strains, sporting injuries, arthritis and structural problems. In many cases these can be treated with rest, rehabilitation, exercise, medication, back supports and braces or massage therapy.
Common Types of Back Injuries
Causes of Back Pain
Whilst there is no specific category of people who suffer
from back pain, hard physical work, lifting, static working postures and
vibration are some of the factors that can contribute to it.
A few common causes of back pain are:
- Sports Injuries - these can include fractures, muscle ruptures, inflammation of muscle attachments or low back pain (lumbago)
- Sciatica - pain radiates from the lower back down one leg or the other due to a slipped disc, which exerts pressure on the sciatic nerve
- Arthritis - Ankylosing Spondylitis and Osteoarthritis are the different types of arthritis associated with back pain
- Structural Problems - incorrect posture, osteoporosis and scoliosis (curvature of the spine) can cause back pain by placing additional strain on the spine
- Back Muscle and Ligament Strain - can occur as a result of heavy lifting, turning rapidly, over stretching or repetitive use
Diagnosing Back Pain
Diagnosis of back pain depends on a number of different
factors, which includes evaluation of pain, physical examination, back function
and X-ray results.
When evaluating back pain, the location of the pain, intensity of the pain and duration of the pain are important to consider. The function of the back should be examined
to determine range and pattern of movement, posture, muscle tone and control.
If you are suffering from a back complaint, a full history of back pain should be provided to your medical professional in order to assist with diagnosis and recommended treatment plan.
The best course of action would be to consult with your
medical professional for a complete diagnosis and treatment plan.
Treatment of Back Pain
There are a number of different treatment options for back
pain, which can include rest, rehabilitation, exercise, medication, massage, therapy,
back support products or surgery in extreme cases. Recommended Back Supports and Braces:
Supports and Braces are used to assist with recovery,
prevention and pain management of soft tissue injuries and joint pain. Our
range of back supports provides compression, support, comfort and heat therapy
during varying levels of activity.
Under the direction of your medical professional and in
conjunction with your advised treatment plan, the following
Thermoskin back supports are recommended:
- Thermoskin Lumbar Support - provides protection, heat, compression and support to muscle injuries and general lower back dysfunctions. This product has 2 flexible internal stays for additional support and adjustable side straps for extra compression
- Thermoskin Back - provides protection, heat and mild support to muscle injuries and general lower back dysfunctions
- Thermoskin Elastic Back Stabiliser - provides compression and support for general lower back dysfunctions. There are 4 internal stays for additional support, adjustable elastic side straps for extra compression and contains a lightweight breathable mesh knit for ventilation
Browse recommended products: