A Complete Guide To Medical Tapes and Bandages
Medical Tapes and bandages are important to hand on hand in any medicine cabinet or first aid kit. They are designed to assist with a range of conditions or injuries and help to reduce swelling, protect wounds, relieve muscle pain, prevent fatigues, provide extra support for joints and prevent joint injury.
Some of the most common tapes and bandages include:
- Kinesiology Tape
- Tubeskin Tubular Bandage
- Rigid Strapping Tape
- Hypoallergenic Non-Woven Adhesive Underwrap
- Elastic Adhesive Bandage
- Hand Tearable Stretch Tape
Ares Kinesiology Tape
Kinesiology Taping is a premium elastic tape being used successfully on the sporting field as well as with patients in a physiotherapy setting. Ares Kinesiology Tape assists with pain management and rehabilitation of inflammation, stiffness, bruising and pain arising from sports injuries, arthritis, general muscle fascia and tendon conditions.
Utilise kinesio tape for extra support during sport performance, to assist in pain management or to aid recovery. The tape is specifically designed to replicate human skin in terms of elasticity and thickness. This means that Kinesiology tapes do not inhibit movement making it the perfect tape for those undertaking sport or physical activity.
When applied, Ares tape lifts the skin’s surface to enhance blood and fluid circulation. This is believed to enhance the natural healing process and allow for a wide range of therapeutic and performance benefits.
For instructions on how to apply, see general taping instructions
Tubeskin Tubular Bandage
Tubular and compression bandages are suitable to use for arms or legs to assist with pain management and injuries. Tubular bandages can be utilised for medium compression or as a wrap over dressings. They can also assist with temporary relief from tired or aching limbs.
Benefits of Tubeskin Bandages:
- Comfortable - allows free range of movement
- Easy to apply and re-apply - no need for tape or pins
- Stays in place - continuous even support
- Antibacterial barrier within the material - provides protection from bacteria, fungus and related odours
- Compression for acute injuries to reduce swelling
- Support to injured limbs and weak joints
- Secures wound dressing and protects wound sites
- Temporary relief of aches associated with varicose veins
How to Apply:
- Pull bandage over limb. Cut fabric to fit. Double bandage is recommended for greater effectiveness
- Single layer compression measurement is 15mmHg
Rigid Strapping Tape
Rigid strapping tape is designed to support and prevent joint injury. It works by restricting the movement of affected body parts to prevent injury or to avoid further injury. Many sports such as running, netball, basketball and football can place undue stress on our joints. Strapping knees, shoulders and other key joints can assist in minimising excessive joint mobility to prevent injury.
A physiotherapist can be consulted to discover the best sports tape strapping techniques for a particular injury, condition or as a preventative measure.
How to Apply:
The correct way to use strapping tape is dependent on the injury or condition that the individual has. Application also varies based on location of affected area. Speak to a professional, such as a physiotherapist to get advice on how best to use strapping tape
Hypoallergenic Adhesive Underwrap
Hypoallergenic, non-woven tape is ideal for those who have sensitive skin or need to apply strapping tape regularly.
The premium quality underwrap is adhesive so allows for easy application and long-wearing. It also enables the underwrap to stay in place for long periods of time, with no skin irritation or discomfort.
The non-woven fabric allows perspiration to evaporate quickly and air to circulate, making this underwrap comfortable and long lasting.
How to Apply:
- This product can be used underneath strapping tape for comfort and adhesion
- Simply remove the quick-release paper backing and apply the underwrap to the skin prior to taping
- As well as providing additional comfort and adhesion, this strapping tape prevents the irritation and chafing of skin during strapping / taping.
Elastic Adhesive Bandage
Special Elastic Adhesive Bandage is made from 30% Nylon and 70% Cotton with a strong zinc oxide adhesive. Specifically designed as a lightweight overwrap or support compression bandage for muscles and joints under high stress.
This bandage is suitable for treatment of small areas on all areas of the body.
Benefits of Elastic Adhesive Bandages:
How to Apply:
- Effective support for muscles and joints
- Lightweight feel for comfort and long wearing
- Strong compression to aid support and relief
- Available in various widths to give you the perfect fit, support and compression
Remove backing and adhere bandage to affected area. Cut bandage to size. Allow for moderate compression.
Hand Tearable Stretch Tape
Professional Hand Tearable Stretch Tape is specifically designed as a lightweight elastic adhesive tape that is easily tearable for effective and quick application.This tape has a lightweight feel that provides increased comfort and long lasting.
The bandage can be used on all areas of the body to provide effective support for muscles and joints.
How to Apply:
Peel tape from roll, tear or cut to size and adhere to affected area. Allow for moderate compression.