Back Muscles: Spasms, Inflammation and Strain
Back muscle pain can be caused by torn back muscles, pulled back muscles, back spasms or strain and inflammation of back muscles. There are many muscles, tendons and ligaments in the back and incorrect posture, heavy loading and muscle fatigue can all leas to back muscle complaints. Find out more about the causes, symptoms and treatments for this injury. Plus, find a range of back supports and braces and more physio products to assist in alleviating back muscle injuries
Anatomy of the Back
The spine is bordered by several groups of muscles. Firstly, the superficial back muscles that attach to the spine control limb movement and aid respiratory function. Secondly, the intrinsic or deep back muscles (of which there are four layers) that act specifically to move and stabilise the spine. And finally, the muscles in the back that attach anteriorly.
Causes of Back Spasms
Back Spasms are involuntary contractions of muscles in the back. They can be extremely painful but the pain is often easy to alleviate.
- Heavy Lifting: Exerting a lot of energy or strain on the back such as when performing heavy lifting or other strenuous physical activity can cause the back to spasm.
- Dehydration: Lack of essential salts in the body can cause muscles to spasm. Stay hydrated to prevent uncontrollable tightening of back muscles.
- Herniated Disc: A disc herniation, commonly refereed to as a 'slipped disc' can press on spinal nerves and causes both back pain and potentially back spasms.
Causes of Back Muscle Inflammation and Strain
- Repetitive Movements: Back strains and inflammation of the back muscles can be caused by recurring back movements especially, rotation. It is important to take regular breaks from physical and work activities, which require repetitive movement of the back.
- Muscle Fatigue: Excessive weight loading, poor posture and strenuous physical activity can all fatigue back muscles which can lead to inflammation or back strains.
- Weak Back Muscles: Although not a cause itself, weak back muscles can increase the risk of suffering from back muscle strains/inflammation especially when performing heavy lifting, repetitive movements of the back and strenuous physical activity.
Symptoms of Back Muscle Injuries
If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, you may be suffering from inflammation of the back muscles or perhaps a back strain.
- Back pain during exertion
- Back Ache after exertion
- Tenderness when placing pressure at the muscle attachment, near the spinous processes (bony prominences in the midline of the back)
- Contraction of the affected back muscle triggers pain in its attachment
Treatments for Back Muscle Injuries
If you are suffering from back spasms symptoms or inflammation of back muscles, please consult with your medical professional for a complete diagnosis and a tailored back pain treatment plan.
Recommended Back Supports and Braces:
Under the direction of your medical professional and in conjunction with your advised treatment plan, the following Thermoskin products are recommended:
- Thermoskin Lumbar Support - provides protection, heat, compression and support to muscle injuries and general lower back dysfunctions. This product has 2 flexible internal stays for additional support and adjustable side straps for extra compression
- Thermoskin Back - provides protection, heat and mild support to muscle injuries and general lower back dysfunctions
- Thermoskin Elastic Back Stabiliser - provides compression and support for general lower back dysfunctions. There are 4 internal stays for additional support, adjustable elastic side straps for extra compression and contains a lightweight breathable mesh knit for ventilation
Browse recommended products: